Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A true friend brings you a pen

I started a new job a few months ago and was lucky enough to find myself working in an office with a woman that I adore.  She's funny, she's smart, and she likes the Beastie Boys. What more could I ask for?   Recently, she was away from the office for two days to attend a conference in Vancouver, Canada.  After sharing an office for a few months, she quickly noticed that pen acquisition is one of my fetishes.  She says I'm pen rich, which is a very generous way of acknowledging that I've already acquired more pens in my desk top pen cup than two people could use up in a year.

When she left me in an empty office for a couple of days, she reassured me that she'd bring back a Canada something or other as recompense.  She clearly knew that the most apropos souvenir for me would be a pen.  So, upon her return, I was presented with an adorable black ink ball point with a red barrel and a teddy bear and Canadian flag printed on the side.  It has a laser fine point and a nice heft to its translucent barrel.  Best of all, it is an offering from a friend who knows my predilections and brought a piece of her Canadian adventure back for me.

I'm always happy to acquire a new pen, but it's even better to find a new friend who likes me despite my quirks.

No comments:

Post a Comment