Sunday, October 31, 2010

NaNoWriMo

The first time I signed up for NaNoWriMo several years ago, I blew it off without much real effort.  Now, this year, I've committed to trying to take my writing seriously.  Thus, committing to National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) seemed a logical move.  However, now that I've signed up, the fear and anxiety has set in.  I suspect it's somehow akin to how one would feel after signing up for a marathon.  Although, marathoners actually get time to condition their bodies and their minds for their great feat of endurance.  What can writers do?  Practice their typing skills?  Sharpen a few pencils?  Plot like crazy?

One wins this race by writing 50,000 words during the month of November.  It doesn't have to be a great 50,000 words, just as those people who stumble across the finish line can still say they have completed a marathon.  I think most who join NaNo, however, do want to use the time to write something worthwhile. My goal is not only to finish, but to learn something - to solidify the habit of writing regularly and push up my own expectations for a daily word count.

For any of you who may have joined NaNo as well, my username is ccarlyle (from my pen name Christy Carlyle).  I would say 'wish me luck' but I'd rather have wishes for perseverance, self-discipline, and lots of productive writing time.  I wish the same for all you NaNo writers out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment